Traits of Great Business Leaders
There’s no lack of guidance regarding the traits of great business leaders and their key attributes. I’d like to add my two cents, and at the risk of oversimplifying, distilled what I’ve learned from a diversity of great business and organizational leaders into a shortlist.
- Write down their personal and professional goals and review them daily.
- Never stop learning, especially from mistakes and everyday experiences.
- Have learned the recipe of self-motivation.
- Know the value of preparation.
- Inspire others to not only work harder, but smarter; provide a clear vision.
- Provide people with continuous feedback, negative and positive.
- Are transparent, no hidden agendas.
- Always recognize the right thing to do and can explain it to others, as painful as it might be.
- Stay calm when everyone else has lost theirs.
- Will happily tackle the toughest assignments and challenges.
- Never complain about their situation, or make excuses for their failures.
- Are willing to take risks, but mitigate their exposure.
- Respect people’s differences and welcome differing opinions.
- Try to surround themselves with people who are smarter than they are.
- Are not self-centered and care deeply about sharing their success with others.
- Make people feel important and show genuine appreciation for their
- Listen more than they talk; regularly get out of their office and talk to people.
- Know how to teach; they’re great mentors.
- Are always looking for new ways to do things and push people out of their comfort zones.
- Have unquestionable
If you are lucky enough to be around a great leader you know how contagious their enthusiasm and energy is. You know why? They absolutely love what they do and are having fun doing it; that trait of leadership success is undeniable.